Students will learn how to create works of art using various fabrics and sewing techniques. This class is ideal for any artist interested in fashion or liturgical arts. Lessons are for 1 hour per week. Material selections and patterns are students responsibility. Recommended minimum age is 9 years old. Please call or email to schedule.
Instructor: Katie Conant
Topics discussed and practiced:
- Learn how to operate a sewing machine (we have machines in class or you can bring your own)
- Learn to thread a machine, wind bobbins, general cleaning, and maintenance of machines
- Learn how to sew a straight line, practice until mastered
- Follow pattern instructions
- Modify pattern to fit (lengthen or shorten)
- Cutting out material carefully, following pattern for details - center front, cutting on a fold, curves for armholes, fabric with or without a nap.
- Safety instructions with iron and cutting implements - scissors, rotary cutter, seam rippers.
- Creating elastic waist bonds - modifying pockets, finishing techniques for hems, sleeves.